Loughborough Road – Exhibition Manager’s Notes

A brief description of the layout for inclusion into your program.

Loughborough Road is a “might-have-been” layout and incorporates bits of real family history. Loughborough Road is a main road running south from Nottingham through West Bridgford to – Loughborough. To the East was the Midland Railway line linking Kettering/Melton Mowbray/Nottingham, and slightly further East was the London North Western and Great Northern Joint Railway line built to link Market Harborough & Peterborough /Melton Mowbray/Nottingham. So it was not entirely impossible that the good citizens of West Bridgford – in 1900 a thriving and growing suburb – might have established a terminus for the Midland Railway with LNWR  running powers and all linked into a growing Nottingham suburban railway network.

The company occupying the main building at the terminus is Paley & Co., a real boot making company based in Nottingham. Samuel Paley lived for a period on Loughborough Road so his home has become a rather grand factory.

The 00 layout is a fiddle yard to terminus scheme built on a slight curve. The time period is 1895 to 1930 allowing the use of Midland, LNWR and LMS passenger and goods stock. The layout requires thought and planning – and the use of a station pilot – to shunt goods vehicles into and out of the limited goods yard.

 

Size 11′ x 6′ including operator space
Period 1900 – 1930
Operators 4
Control DC
Insurance Value £ 2000
Set Up Time 30 – 45 minutes
Power 1×13 amp socket

For further information e-mail Alan Paley – the owner